Some of the columns were badly damaged as well as the acanthus leafs located at the top of each column. We first cleaned much of gilt metal and then went about casting some of the existing decoration. We used these casts as mouldings for the missing sections. Gesso was poured into each cast, these sections were then secured to the mirror.Gilding was then undertaken, bole was applied to the gesso to create a bed and the gold leaf was then applied. Each new section was aged to tone down the sheen using a size.
Victorian Armchair Upholstered in a traditional manner
case study: VICTORIAN ARMCHAIR Upholstery
We took the armchair right back to its carcass. We then went about re-building up the foundation of the upholstery. This was achieved with horsehair for the stuffing, layers of hessian to hold the horsehair in place. The underside had new replacement hessian webbing secured. We then recovered it in tweed a fabric of the client’s choice.